"To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, May 1, 2017

Whole 30: Day 1

So, some of you know that I decided to do a Whole 30 starting today. It is an elimination diet meant to reset the gut. Rules are strict. Breaking a rule gets you voted off the island and back to Day 1. Ain't nobody got time for that. But, for those that complete the 30 days, you are supposed to feel AMAZING. I've had enough friends that have done it and swear they feel so good that I decided it was worth a try.

For the next 30 days, I've agreed to:

  • No alcohol - The children may suffer for this one
  • No sugar - Of any kind, no fake sugar, no honey, etc.
  • No legumes - I do like beans, so this one made me a little sad. Sugar snap peas and green beans are allowed.
  • No dairy - Insert sad face. Oh, cheese, I will miss you...My coffee is sad already.
  • No grains
  • No MSG, sulfites, and a bunch of other bad preservatives
  • Not to get on the scale after today. This shouldn't be that hard since every time I've gotten on there recently I have wanted to hurl myself off the bridge.
  • EAT REAL FOOD


According to the book, Day 1 is either "I've got this" or "What did I do?" day. Right now, I am in the "I've got this" mode. I made a menu for the week, I prepped, shopped, and prepared ahead. I have enjoyed all my food today, and I have not been hungry one single time. Breakfast consisted of an egg bake with eggs (duh), chicken apple sausage, onions, mushrooms, red pepper, and spinach. I will admit I thought it would taste really good with some feta cheese, but alas I cannot. Hiss, boo... My coffee was a sad affair with coconut cream and cinnamon, but it wasn't awful. Lunch was a Mexican tuna salad made with an avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, and spices served with celery, peppers, and a cilantro lime mayo that I made (yes, be proud of me). Dinner was a sweet potato stuffed with carnita meat (yum), guacamole, salsa, cilantro lime mayo and a salad with a splash of Tessamae's black pepper dressing mixed with some champagne  citrus vinegar (that is fine). It was all delicious.



By Day 3, I'm supposed to start really feeling the sugar withdrawls, so talk to me then about how much I'm loving what I'm eating. Haha. I'll check back in every now and then with updates on how this craziness is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment