"To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, May 10, 2015

To All The Mamas

A big old Happy Mother's Day to all the Mamas out there today. Being a mother is the hardest and most rewarding job there is. Some days you feel like Superwoman, and other days you are just thankful Child Protective Services does not have cameras in your house. Those little people can make you feel like the best mama and the worst (sometimes one happens within minutes of the other). Today, we celebrate all the moms out there - young and old - you are all superheroes.

To the Stay-at-home moms: I started here because I am in the trenches with you. I remember at the ripe old age of 22, I told my boyfriend what I really wanted to be was a wife and mom. There were years after that when that idea wavered a bit, but growing up I never had any giant career plans. I was a good student, got great grades, went to college, etc. but what I really wanted had nothing to do with what school could provide. Have I doubted my decision to stay at home with my kids? Yep. Do I regret it? Nope, not at all. I am thankful I have a husband who is very supportive of that desire and that we can make it work. I don't want to take that for granted for a second.

To the Working Mamas: Hats off to you, ladies! I am amazed by friends who have careers and are in the midst of raising little people. The constant juggling of time, resources, responsibilities at work and home makes me tired just thinking about it.

To the Single Moms: Holy cow. Being a mom is hard enough when you get to do it in a two parent household. To those of you who do it each day alone, I am amazed. I am amazed at your dedication, at your resolve, and often at how you don't pull all your hair out dealing with these little people alone. I know some share the parenting gig with a father who isn't in the home, and many of you do it ALL ALONE. You are mom and dad, and you are amazing, courageous women who are doing a great job!

To the Moms in School: I put these Mamas in a separate category because they should be. I mean, you go to class which is like work, then have work to do when you get home for school PLUS taking care of little people. I was amazed when I was in nursing school at the fellow students who were raising children, but now that I have little people of my own I can fully appreciate just what rock stars those women really were. If you work and go to school and raise little people, I have no words...You are Super Women.

To those Who Want to Be Mamas: Before we had Jake, we had two miscarriages. The second was particularly devastating because I started to wonder if something was wrong with me, with us. Then I hear stories of women who are on miscarriage number 6 or 7, and I cannot imagine their strength. I don't know that I would have had that kind of resolve to not give up. To those who are waiting - whether on their own biological children or children through adoption - you are some of the strongest women I know.

To those Mamas whose chicks have flown the coop: My wise real estate agent has reminded me many times that "the days are long, but the years are short." I know this is true, and I know that there is celebration to be had when all the chicks leave the nest. But for many there is also a deep sense of sadness. I am certain that for most, there is a sense of both. I don't wish to speed away any time with my babies, and it makes me sad to think of a time when they will grow up and move away. I hope I can be as strong as you guys are.

To the Mamas with sick kiddos: I cannot imagine. I see and hear stories all the time of people all around me and around the world with children who have diseases and injuries that make my heart ache. To see those women who, day in and day out, love and care for their babies who are sick just makes me stand in awe of you. We all hug our babies a little tighter and get a little less frustrated with our own knowing your stories.

To the Mamas who are sick: To all my friends who are battling diseases of their own, my heart breaks for you. The only thing worse than watching those you love sick is to be faced with your own mortality while in the young years of parenting. I can't even think about it without the tears welling up. The courage with which you ladies get up and face each day with is staggering. Hug those babies tightly, and make every moment count and know that by you doing so it makes all of us do the same with our own.

To those who are celebrating this Mother's Day for the first time without their moms: Cherish all the memories, tell your children stories about your moms, and celebrate her for the woman she was. The older we get, we know that likely we will all be in your shoes in the years to come. We will all be wishing for a chance to hug our moms "one last time." My heart goes out to you this Mother's Day.

To those whose Mamas are sick: I am entering this stage of life. It seems stages of dementia and perhaps "something more sinister but yet to be diagnosed" are becoming much more a reality than I would like to admit. Shifting from child to decision maker/caretaker/etc. is something that will not be easy. I am so thankful for siblings who will shoulder this role with me. I cannot imagine not having them. Seeing someone's health deteriorate is never easy, but I think when it is your own mother it is especially hard.

To my Mother-in-law: I just want to say thank you. It's because of having you as one-half of his parenting duo that he became the man he is today. You loved him through all the difficult years, cheered him on at soccer games, taught him how to manage his money, and so much more. Our little family thanks you a thousand times over for all your influence because we think he's pretty awesome. I know this mother-in-law gig probably isn't easy, but you do a great job at it :) And since somebody (not naming names, but probably the person pecking away at these keys) forgot cards for any mom today, we just wanted to say thank you for being you and we hope you have a great day.

To My Mama: Whew...I don't know where to start. My very first memories include you. You were home when we were little, you worked when you needed to go back, and I will never fathom how we had the necessary things on the money you made. You taught us that stuff tastes better when it's fried (my hips thank you), cornbread and biscuits were a "must" at dinner (again, my hips thank you), and fatback, biscuits with a slice of tomato in them, and fresh corn might be the perfect dinner (again with the hips). You taught me not to buy things I couldn't pay for, and you taught me how to balance a checkbook. You gave us freedom without being all "go do what you want", and you worried  about all of us enough to make your hair gray. Never did I not know that you loved us, even when I was a pain in the ass. You were my room mom, you came to any sporting event or band concert (even when we were awful), you bought me my first car (never will I understand how you thought a convertible was a safe choice now that I'm a parent), and sacrificed beyond belief for all of us. Even though your memory is failing, just know all of this and so much more is tucked safely away in my memories. Thank you for being the best.

On this Mother's Day, hug and celebrate all the Mamas out there. I remember telling that same boyfriend mentioned earlier that what I wanted to be remembered for was being a good wife and mama. It may seem like a simple thing, but this Mama gig is harder than it looks. And to all the types of Mamas: celebrate one another no matter how different we all are. The one thing we all have in common is that we want to be remembered as the best Mama we could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment