"To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Tales from Turkey Day

You know what makes my head spin? All these people who post about healthy Thanksgiving recipes - that's what. C'mon people, let your hair down, get your panties out of wad, and pull on the fat pants for one stinking day! If I show up and all you have is a bunch of green stuff and low fat this or that, I'm packing it up and heading over somewhere else for Turkey Day. I mean, I struggle - I wish that weren't such a true statement - to incorporate more green things into my menu. Every. Single. Year.

We celebrated last Saturday because Jason has to work on the actual day. Plus, my sisters and niece came, so that made it even more fun. I cannot tell you enough just how much Thanksgiving is my favorite. I love to cook and make things pretty, so give me the kitchen, play with my kids, and I am the happiest camper in the world. This year's menu has been one of my favorites, so I thought I would create a post more for me to find next year than anything else :) If you are looking for a last minute addition, look no more. Here's the menu - I will explain the turkey at the bottom. 

Turkey - this year's turkey was the best one I have ever done.
Dressing - I use Paula Deen's recipe, but I don't add all the broth. I keep it at about 4 cups because I tried all 7 cups one year, and my dressing never got as firm as I like it. 
Maple Meringue Sweet Potatoes - I did a meringue topping this year because my boys don't like the one with brown sugar. I will just make the regular one next year, but I will keep the actual sweet potato portion of this recipe. The addition of cream cheese to the sweet potatoes was YUM.
Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Shallot Topping - this was okay. I really have tried to like GBC,   but I'd just rather have roasted green beans.
World's Best Mac and Cheese - Seriously YUM. Totally worth wearing the fat pants.
Boursin Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes - I could swim in these. My mouth is watering right now and wishing I still had some.
Cranberry Sauce - I have no idea when this recipe changed. All my recipe has in it is the maple syrup, cranberries, and orange zest. I think I may have squeezed in some of the juice from the orange, but you don't need the other stuff.
Rolls -  courtesy of Sister Schubert
Cranberry Apple Salad - this is a super easy salad made with dried cranberries, mixed greens, feta, walnuts, diced red apple, and diced green apple tossed in a poppyseed dressing. Simple and yum.
Deviled eggs - I'm sure there is some sort of law that says these must be present.
Gravy - I didn't even use my turkey drippings. I used a store bought bone broth. I omitted the wine but kept in the heavy cream and cognac.
Pumpkin Pie - this is my go-to pumpkin pie. Jason finished it off a little bit ago.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Tart - My recipe is similar. I could eat this all by myself. It would probably make me sick to do so, but it is so good I don't think I'd even care.

And there ya have it. The Thanksgiving menu for 2016. So here's what I did to the turkey. This year I had a 16 pounder. I always do a brine (except for last year, and the turkey was icky). This year it got a full 24 hour soak in the brine. 

Brine:
1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 oranges, quartered
2 lemons, quartered
6 sprigs thyme
4 springs rosemary
2 gallons water

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a non reactive container (I use a plastic bin). Place the turkey inside and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours. 

Prepare a rub. I usually do this step the day before and store it in a container with a lid until I am ready to cook my bird. 

Mix: 
1 Tbsp, rosemary leaves
2 Tbsp lemon zest
1/2 coarse salt
Place in food processor and pulse until fine. Set aside

When you are ready to cook your turkey, take it out of the brine a pat dry. Place a few pats of butter under the skin. Drizzle olive oil onto the turkey and massage into the turkey. Then, rub the citrus rosemary salt all over the turkey. Place a few sprigs of rosemary and a few lemon halves in the cavity of the turkey. 

In your roasting pan, alternate celery and whole carrots on the bottom. Lay the turkey - breast side down - on the veggies and roast for 1 hour at 425. Take the turkey out and place a rack in the roasting pan, flip the bird over, and cook until done at 325. 

My turkey is always one of the first things to get done. I always wrap it in foil then towels, place it in a cooler (breast side down) until we are ready to eat. Yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment