"To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, August 11, 2022

Make Ahead Breakfast Ideas

 Anyone else struggling got the first week/weeks of school blues? Fighting with kids to get out the door in the mornings? I have a feeling I'm not alone on this one. I try to be as proactive as possible when planning for the next day by getting as many things done ahead of time as I possibly can. I found 2 meal ideas that my kids love, and I have made them twice this first week of school for easy breakfast ideas. I thought I might share them here.

Banana Oat Cookies - This was a Pinterest find that was LOVED by my boys. It was easy, I had all the ingredients, and was a great way to use some "going bad" bananas. They aren't the cutest cookies in the world, but I've now made 2 batches that have been gobbled up by the boys.

2 c. quick oats

2 mashed very ripe bananas

1/4 c. chocolate chips

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 c creamy peanut butter

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients. Drop 2 tablespoon scoops (I used a small cookie scoop) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten slightly, forming a cookie shape (these cookies don't spread when baking). Bake for 14-17 min, or until slightly brown on the edges. Cool and enjoy or store for later use.

Egg Muffins - My boys love these. They are protein packed, and you can use any combination of ingredients you want. My kids like them "loaded". There is no exact measuring for this recipe, so I will provide what I cooked.

1/2 onion, diced

1/2 red bell pepper, diced

1 c mushrooms, diced

1 cup (or so) mixed shredded cheese

10 eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 package precooked chopped bacon (I use the packaged bacon that is sold in the salad aisle)

1 handful chopped spinach

Approx 1/4 cup half and half (or milk or cream)

Salt and pepper to taste

Cook onions, peppers, and mushrooms until soft. Let cool. Mix eggs and all other ingredients in a large bowl. Add onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Spoon into a greased muffin pan. I use a 1/3 cup measuring scoop. 


Bake at 350 until eggs are set, usually around 20 min or so. It will depend on how full cups are/how many ingredients you add. I have subbed bacon for diced ham or precooked sausage. I have only used meat and cheese. You can seriously make these as "loaded" or not as you want. Store in fridge and reheat at breakfast. 


Happy Back to School All!!

No comments:

Post a Comment